20. huhtikuuta 2017

Finnish Christmas ~ 15 ways to eat uncooked fish

~ For years, I have written this blog about my life overseas in Finnish for my Finnish friends and family. Upon returning to Finland, it was pointed out to me that, perhaps, I should write about Finland in English for those who are linguistically limited. Here goes. ~



So, I returned to Finland. Only it happened to be the night before Christmas Eve about 2 minutes too late to make the last bus to my hometown, Turku (nowhere near Turkey - Australia Post seems to be unclear on this matter). I got out of the terminal just in time to see the tail lights of the bus. Right-o. I know we are punctual people but come on! 




So, I waited another two hours for the next bus. I finally made it home at 4am, went to bed 5am, was up again in a few hours to attend the Christmas Peace Declaration. 


Christmas Peace is a tradition based on old Scandinavian legislation. Offenders who committed crimes on religious holidays like Christmas were given harsher punishments. Today it is a tradition to recommend that people behave in a respectful and peaceful manner at Christmas. The Declaration of Christmas Peace has remained in Finland where it is an essential part of the Christmas tradition. The oldest and most popular event is held at noon at the Old Great Square of the former Finnish capital Turku where the declaration has been read since the 1320s. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Peace]

The Declaration of Christmas Peace? Oooooooh. The Old Great Square? Aaaaaaah. Tradition spanning 700 years? OooooOOOooooooh. So fancé.  





In reality, it means standing outside in sub-zero temperatures with thousand others listening to some dude recant words from a balcony. And because we are a nation that takes pride in its endeavour towards universal equality, we do the ceremony in two bloody languages, first Finnish, then Swedish. I bet he has central heating. And why do we do it? To remind us not to have too much fun over Christmas. Bloody hell, this country! What can I say, it's culture.




I guess the uncooked fish helps us to not have fun. Although, I love most of the uncooked fish. What does it say about a people that they begin to enjoy their form of punishment? 





After Christmas Peace, we have lunch which consists of big mob ham with mustard, potato casserole, carrot casserole, liver casserole, raw salt-cured salmon, pickled herring in various flavours, salad with apple, beetroot and some pickled herring on top for good measure and dried or salted fish with lye. Lye, you ask? Well, it's a liquid metal hydroxide obtained by leaching ashes containing largely potassium carbonate and we eat it. I'm convinced we are some sort of super human race for not dyeing from our traditional foods.

As if this wouldn't be enough to stop us having fun on Christmas, the Christmas Goat makes an appearance. That's right folks, Santa doesn't bother with us. It's culture. 






Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti